Indian Institute of Technology Madras conducts Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) for Admissions to Postgraduate Programs (Master's and Doctoral) with MHRD and other Government Scholarships / Assistantships in Engineering /Technology /Architecture/ Science are open to those who qualify in GATE. The GATE score is also used by some PSUs for their recruitment. GATE 2020 score will be valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of results.
GATE 2020 Eligibility:-
The following candidates are eligible to appear in GATE 2020:-
• Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/ Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
• Bachelor’s degree holders in Architecture (Five years course) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
• Bachelor’s degree holders of Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
• Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
• Holders of Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the second or higher year of such programs.
• Holders of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those who are in the fourth or higher year of such programs.
• Holders of Five-year integrated M.Sc. or Five-year integrated B.Sc./M.Sc. degree and those who are in the final year of such programs.
• Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE/MHRD as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE 2020 score is valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
GATE Registration / Application Form
GATE 2020 Application Form and Registration Process:-
Apply online at website - http://gate.iitd.ac.in from 3rd September 2019 to 24th September 2019.
GATE 2020 Application Fee -
SC/ ST/ PwD / Female Candidates -
On or before 24th September 2019 - Rs 750/-
During the Extended Period - Rs 1250/-
All Other Candiates -
On or before 24th September 2019 - Rs 1500/-
During the Extended Period - Rs 2000/-
Mode of Payment - Debit Card / Credit Card / Net Banking.
Upload Photograph and Signature -
Photograph Requirements -
The photograph must be in COLOR and taken after 01 August 2019 in a professional studio.
A passport size (3.5 cm Width × 4.5 cm Height)
Maximum size for JPEG can be 480×640 in pixels (0.3 Mega pixel)
Minimum size for JPEG should be 240×320 pixels.
Background of the photograph must be white or a light color.
Signature Specifications -
Please draw a rectangular box of size 2 cm × 7 cm (Height × Width) on an A4 white paper. Sign with black or dark blue ink pen within this box. The size of the signature (Height × Width) should be atleast 70~80% of the box size (preferred
Only JPEG image format will be accepted.
The maximum image size for the signature can be160×560 in pixels.
The minimum image size for the signature should be 80×280 in pixels.
GATE 2020 Syllabus:-
Click Here to download GATE Exam Syllabus.
GATE 2020 Pattern:-
Mode - ONLINE Computer Based Test (CBT).
Duration - 3 hours
65 questions for a total of 100 marks.
Type of Questions -
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) - carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all the papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to select (mark) the correct answer.
Negative Marking for Wrong Answers: For a wrong answer chosen in a MCQ, there will be negative marking. For 1-mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Likewise, for 2-mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions - carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all the papers and sections. For these questions, the answer is a signed real number, which needs to be entered by the candidate using the virtual numeric keypad on the monitor (keyboard of the computer will be disabled). No choices will be shown for these type of questions. The answer can be a number such as 10 or -10 (an integer only). The answer may be in decimals as well, for example, 10.1 (one decimal) or 10.01 (two decimals) or -10.001 (three decimals). These questions will be mentioned with, up to which decimal places, the candidates need to present the answer. Also, for some NAT type problems an appropriate range will be considered while evaluating the numerical answer type questions so that the candidate is not unduly penalized due to the usual round-off errors. Wherever required and possible, it is better to give NAT answer up to a maximum of three decimal places.
There is NO negative marking for a wrong answer in NAT questions.
GATE 2020 Preparation:
One of the important tips to crack GATE is to make sure that you have the best study material that cover the relevant portion for the exam. This is high time to hunt for the most relevant study materials. You can also do online surfing to get content. Solving sample papers will be a great help as it will assist you in managing time.
GATE Preparation Tips
GATE Coaching Institutes
GATE Previous Years Question Papers